Once again, I'm going to show a project from last year with a few additions. We did a lot of moving around last year. My sewing room became my daughter's room, my daughter's room became my son's room and my son's room became my sewing room. Why? You ask for all the moving around. Well, it goes like this. My sewing room was upstairs and had some water damage to the ceiling. It was a peaked ceiling and there was no attic and therefore no ventilation. Condensation formed in the hot, humid summers and caused us to have water/mold damage to the insulation and sheetrock. We knew we needed to do something but kept putting it off. Last year we decided not to put it off anymore. We were trying to think of ways to save money. We also didn't want the mess of sheetrock and everything that goes along with it. This room also had no windows because it was an exterior room when we added onto our house. (there really is a lot here to explain but I'll try and give you a good enough explanation without too many words) So, we wanted to add a dormer as well as drop our ceiling (for ventilation). We knew it would be expensive so that is why we went to brainstorming ways to make it cheaper. We planned on doing the work ourselves so it wasn't a matter of labor costs as much as a matter of materials cost. That is when we came up with the idea of finding some old barns and tearing them down for lumber. We didn't want to pay for the wood so it took a little time to find some generous farmer who had a barn he would allow us to strip down. Once found, my husband went to work. For a time, we had piles of old wood on our front porch. It was some really great wood though. I'm going to show a few of the pics of the raw "bones" of the room and building the dormer.
I was loving this little nailer. It went so fast and was light weight.
It was so easy to use that even my daughter got to nail a few strips. (I'm not sure what the towel around the head and the head light was all about. Guess she needed something to stick her pencil into.)
My son was a big help cutting the strips to length.
Here is a pic of the "raw" wood and then with a coat of polyurethane. Check out the grain. The poly really made it "pop". We painted and trimmed out two built-in bookshelves.
One she uses for her books.
And one she uses for her "dresser".
Have a blessed day,