Trades to Master

  • Things to Master: Sewing (Quilting),
  • DIY,
  • Painting,
  • Remodeling,
  • Cooking,
  • Gardening,
  • and so much more

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Little Living Room Project

Hello Everyone!
 
I am going to include another of my projects from last year that I haven't posted publically.  If you go back here, this is explained.
 
 
This picture is of my wall in the living room that leads up stairs. It is a white wall with a large framed picture of our family. The table is there because it doesn't have any other home at the moment. It used to be in my sewing room with my machine on it. However, it is going to be spending some time in the living room until the other rooms are done and I find the perfect place for it. I don't know if you can see in this picture but the drawer is missing. It is still upstairs holding some of my sewing stuff. Hopefully soon they (desk & drawer) will be able to get back together. I have never really liked this wall. The picture was hung too high. The reason for this is because I didn't want to make any new holes in the walls. These holes were from a previous picture that actually hung a little lower. I think it has to do with the placement of the brackets on the back of the frame itself. Anyway, this wall just didn't look appealing to me. It looked unfinished. I didn't really care for the Lego bucket underneath either. (smile)

Soooo, I decided to do something about it. The Legos got put in a closet upstairs, the picture got lowered, the table got decorated and the wall got a new addition. This is what it looks like now.
My guest book now is readily accessible. I elevated it by standing it up on a easel. For those of you who visit and are a little cold natured, I have several toss blankets in a basket underneath this table.
I took an idea from a friend of mine and put a collection of loose pictures in a basket. It is kind of fun to just pick up a few and rumage around and see what's in there. There is no rhyme or reason to the collection. Some are current and some are older. Anyway, I placed them on top of some home decor books & magazines.
This is the sign I made to help tie in the picture with the other things and brake up all the white on this wall. It says "est. 1998". This is our wedding year. There is a ceramic bird sitting on one corner and and old rusty piece of an old school bus toy that we found in our yard sitting on the other corner. By the way, I have to give credit for this idea to Jillian over at The Virginia House where she made a similar sign. Her's was actually the shelf and then she had her "est." sign on a separate board sitting on the shelf.  I just combined the two ideas into one. Thanks, Jillian, for the inspiration!
This added accent is a cheap  inexpensive vase from the Dollar Tree. Then I took 3 packages of ping pong balls and painted them all white to cover the label. Then I used my Cricut machine and cut some small S's out of black sticky vinyl. I put two S's per ball. I was inspired by this idea from another blog called The Gingham Goat. I think monograming adds a nice personal touch. Of course, you aren't decorating if you don't add a candle or two. Here I added a green candle to add a splash of color and to match my bird that is on the shelf. Overall, I am pretty pleased with the way it turned out. Now I don't feel like our family picture is just floating up there in never never land.
 
As I said, this was last year's project.  As I always like to do a little revising from time to time, I have changed it a little tiny bit this year.  My drawer found it's way back to the desk and I added a few different types of balls to the vase.  I thought it needed a little more texture and varying color.  This is what it looks like now.
 

Have a blessed day!

maggie jane

No comments:

Post a Comment