Trades to Master

  • Things to Master: Sewing (Quilting),
  • DIY,
  • Painting,
  • Remodeling,
  • Cooking,
  • Gardening,
  • and so much more

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

From the beginning...

     Welcome to my all new blog.  I was introduced to the blogging world in July 2010.  I started a private one then and still have that one going.  However, I decided to go ahead and open up a blog for everyone to enjoy.  (At least I hope you will!)  We did a lot of projects last year.  We started with a "forced" remodel (water damage)  and from there it just kind of grew.  I did many smaller "decor" type projects to go along with the "new" rooms.  I will try over time to share those with you all.  Those of my friends and family who have already seen these posts will have to just bare with me.  I promise I will be adding more new items; be it things I've made, redone, or new recipes, or just plain random thoughts about this or that.  As I have stated in my profile, my name isn't Jane but the title fits me to a tee.  I like to have my hands doing all kinds of different things.  I like to learn so many different things that I don't have time to "master" any of them.  It doesn't help that my life is very busy without the projects.  I am a wife and mother and I homeschool my two offspring.  Time is limited but I try to fit in what I can.  Now I confess that sometimes my projects get ahead of the laundry and ironing pile (least favorite chore) but I am going to try to be more careful to not let my pile get too mountainous.  At least that is the goal.  Some of the things that I enjoy doing are sewing (have recently gotten hooked on quilting, thanks to my sister), making signs and other home decor accents, jewelry making, remodeling/redecorating, cooking and entertaining.  I really like to check out other blogs for ideas on re purposing or other DIY projects.  Saving money is always a good thing.
     That was a little about what I like to do.  Now, here is a little about who I am.  I was born and raised in So. California, the youngest of 6 children.  We grew up surrounded by music.  My grandfather started a music store back in 1924 and passed it down to two of his 5 sons; my father being one of those.  We had every opportunity to learn any instrument we wanted.  So did we all go on to perform great concerts at Carnegie Hall?  No, sadly we only learned a little about playing instruments.  I play the piano some but it's another of those things I never mastered.  My daughter is now taking lessons and I'm hoping through osmosis, I will learn a little more.  Unfortunately, I think it is going to take practice; another one of those time takers.  After high school, I went to college and received my certificate in Floral Design.  I worked in that industry for several years.  When I was 23, I moved to Texas with my aunt and uncle.  I worked both in floral design and started my own business hanging wallpaper.  I also spent time as a secretary.  (Seems like the Jane of all Trades has been going on for awhile now. )  During this time, I moved out on my own with a friend.  That friend just happened to have a brother and well, you probably get the idea.  That brother later became my husband.  The problem was that he lived in Missouri.  So, that was another move for me.  Now, almost 13 years later, we are still happily married and raising our two children.  I haven't worked outside the home since we've been married.  Being married and having kids is work, right? Sometimes I call myself a Domestic Engineer just to give it a fancier title.  There have been different trials through the years but my Lord has definitely helped me through and blessed me much more than I deserve.  Which brings me to another thing I would like to not necessarily "master" but grow in and that is my Christian walk.  I still have a lot to learn and grow in and hope that I do grow a little bit each day. So there is a little about me.  Check back in to see what I have been creating, redoing, cooking, etc. 

Hope you all have a blessed day!

maggie jane

2 comments:

  1. I am your first official commenter on your new blog. Looking forward to seeing projects from the frozen tundra!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to following your new blog. Looks like it is going to be interesting!

    ReplyDelete