Trades to Master

  • Things to Master: Sewing (Quilting),
  • DIY,
  • Painting,
  • Remodeling,
  • Cooking,
  • Gardening,
  • and so much more

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Blueberry Pickin' and a Recipe

Hello Everyone!

Yeah, yeah, it's been a while.  I think I kind of like to store up the happenings and the projects and then just hit you all at once.  ;)  I have several posts in the works that I'm hoping to get up in the next week or so.  Today, I wanted to share a few pics from our morning adventures. My sis-in-law, niece, friend and I, along with a passel of kids, went blueberry pickin. It was a great morning for it; not too hot.  My SIL and I neither one had gone last year so we were ready to do some serious picking.  We were both out and were planning on getting a lot of berries.  I ended up with 6 gallons and she with 9 gallons.
SIL writing her check for the berries.


My daughter tying up our bags.
I grabbed these few pics with my daughter's camera because it was a little point and shoot and I didn't want to mess with my big one.  I wanted to take more of us all actually picking but when you are trying to beat the heat of the day, you don't take time for pictures. As you can see, we picked a mess of berries.  We also got a couple for my mother-in-law. Fortunately, my niece and friend were able to pick those since they weren't getting as many berries for themselves.  "Thanks, ladies, for the extra help!" We started picking at 7:20 am and picked until around 1ish. So in 5 and a half hours, we picked 15 gallons of berries! Not bad.  We were all hot and tired by the time it was all said and done but oh, think of all those berries in the freezer through out the winter!  Oh yay, speaking of freezer, I still had to process all those berries when I got home.  So to say the least, this was an all day job. But now my freezer looks like this.
This was in my bigger freezer; approx. 26 quart bags full of blueberries.

There are 3 bags in my little freezer above the fridge.
The place we pick allows us to mound our berries so we actually come out at about 5 quarts to the gallon instead of 4. So that would be 30 quarts for me.  If you do the math, you will see I'm missing a quart.  Well, what's the use in picking if you can't have some berries to munch on right now? My last quart I put in a bowl and whipped up a yummy, easy dressing to toss them in.
Blueberries in Brown Sugar Cream Sauce
Here is the recipe.  Get ready folks, it is hard. (Just kidding. Just the opposite.)

Brown Sugar Cream Sauce for Blueberries
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup brown sugar

Blend together and toss with:
3-4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries

This is great to eat alone or to pour over Angel Food Cake or Pound Cake. It is also wonderful over Ice Cream.

Give it a try and let me know what you think. If you try it some other way, let me know. I'm thinking maybe with waffles or funnel cake or some other such idea.

Well, there you have our day of blueberry pickin'. So until next time...

Have a blessed day,

maggie jane

No comments:

Post a Comment