Trades to Master

  • Things to Master: Sewing (Quilting),
  • DIY,
  • Painting,
  • Remodeling,
  • Cooking,
  • Gardening,
  • and so much more

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Bridal Shower Gifts- Homemade

Hello Everyone!

Sorry I've been a little absent lately but I think I warned you that I was madly trying to finish up some gifts for my niece's bridal shower.  Well, we had that this last weekend so now I'm ready to show you all what I made for her.  First I am going to show you a couple of pictures of the table that we had set up for refreshments.  It turned out rather cute and healthy.  I'm all for healthy right now but I'll have to tell you why in another post.  Anyway, here is the table set up.
Veggie Cheese Ball and crackers, veggies and dip, and skewers with cheese, pepper, tomato and basil dredged in a vinaigrette dressing.
We also had a yummy spicy punch or a flavored tea for drinking.
Now onto the gifts.  First off is a pillow for the living room with the wedding date and their names printed on the front.  This is similar to another wedding gift pillow that I made a few months back. 
a little disclaimer.  I forgot to take pictures after I made these so I had to ask her to dig them out of her boxes of gifts so I could get a picture of them.  The pillows got a little wrinkled.
Next is the pillow for their bedroom.  I love the way this one turned out.  I made it out of chenille so it is all soft and cuddly.  

Next is a sign I made for the kitchen.  This one was fun. 
I was a little nervous as to whether she would like it since the yellow turned out so bright but I really didn't have anything to worry about.  She loved it!  
I had a bunch of old spoons from some of my ancestors and I didn't know what to do with them.  I have come up with a few projects to try but this was the first one that I used.  I didn't have any forks though so I had to hit a couple of antique/flea markets to come up with a fork.

Next is a fun project that I came across in a magazine.  It wasn't on my original list of things to make but I saw it at the last minute and decided to add it too.
A checkerboard.
Every new couple needs some games in their house, right?  I used small wood disks for the playing pieces.  The original instructions were to use buttons but have you priced 1" buttons lately?  I think 24 of them would have broken the bank.  Anyway, I had intended to cover them with cute scrapbook paper and mod podge over them.  Well, let's just say that didn't happen.  Too long of a story to go into now.  Anyway, I painted them all a mustard yellow but needed some distinction to tell whose was whose.  As a small way of explanation on the scrapbook paper idea I'll say time was limited.  That is why I decided to throw painstakingly paint 12 "B's" on half of the pieces.  The whole thing didn't turn out quite like I had envisioned but I think she liked it anyway. 

It was really fun for me to watch her to open these gifts because she was with me on one occasion when I was buying supplies for making them all.  I told her not to ask any questions but just to say "yes" or "no" if she liked or didn't like something I showed her.  It was fun to watch her see those choices come to fruition.  Kind of like, "So that is what you did with that." and so forth.  I also made her a necklace but alas, I forgot to take a picture of that as well.  I will be making more of those so maybe I'll show a picture later. 
Well, that about does it.  Now we just have to get a few more projects done for the actual wedding in October.

I am feeling a little more relaxed but ya know, there is always something to work on.  Another niece had a baby girl today and I am supposed to be making her a crib quilt.  Also, school starts soon so I have that to keep me busy.  And, as always, there is that mountain of ironing waiting to crash down on me as well.  How does it grow so quickly?  Oh well, never a dull moment around here.  So until next time...

Have a blessed day,

maggie jane

No comments:

Post a Comment