Trades to Master

  • Things to Master: Sewing (Quilting),
  • DIY,
  • Painting,
  • Remodeling,
  • Cooking,
  • Gardening,
  • and so much more

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New Desk for Bedroom Office

Hello Everyone!

Hope you had a wonderful 4th of July with lots of fireworks and yummy food!  Today, I am going to show you the new desk that my hubby built for me.  We have been talking for a while about putting a desk in our bedroom so we would have a place for my laptop and maybe another computer for hubby.  Last week, I showed you the start of the desk.  Today, I finally get to show you the finished product.  But first, I will go through a few more pics of the process.  I have to say that I learned a few things and would probably do things a bit different next time.  We decided to stain the pine wood a dark walnut color first.  Then we I painted over that with white paint.  The idea was to sand it down a bit to show the dark color underneath.  Well, that is what we did but it took a lot of elbow grease to sand off two layers of paint.  I should have stopped with one layer but I was wanting the part that was staying white to be a little more "white" and smooth.  So, I went with two coats.  After it was all done, I put two coats of clear wax to give it a nice finish. Keep in mind that this is a long desk so it was a lot of work all the way around.  I'm fairly pleased with it.  The distressing didn't turn out quite like I had envisioned but it is growing on me.  So, here is where we started.
This is the pic I show last week.
Stained desk.
Painted desk.  (Don't mind the mess.  Our porch was being used as a workshop)
Recruiting the hubby to help with the "elbow grease".
Don't be too jealous of my paint clothes.  They have history all over them.  And, it was a very hot day hence the pulled up sleeves.  Boy, I need to get rid of my farmer's tan. ;)
Here she is! This is minus the desktop computer.  That will go in the bottom of the left hand side.  We also need two chairs and a lamp.  The basket in the middle is for trash.  
A close-up of distressing and baskets.
My side.  You might be able to tell that I have already started filling up my baskets with all things "office".  Fun!
I found this cute little dish at TJ Maxx and the cup/pencil holder at Tuesday Morning.  I am going to be making new mousepads for both the hubby and I that will match better with the colors or theme of our room.

So, there you have it.  I'm excited to have this project done.  I am going to be on the lookout for chairs.  I really don't want office chairs as they are a little bulky.  However, to make everthing fit right, we had to make the desk a little taller than a normal desk.  And, being that I am a little shorter than the average woman (5'3"), I am going to have to find a taller chair.  I have thought about bar stools so I can just tuck them under the desk when we aren't using them.  They won't be as comfortable though so I haven't decided.  I'll let you know when I find the right thing.  The best part about this desk is that we saved a lot of money and got the desk in the exact length that we wanted.  And, we can say, "WE BUILT THIS OURSELVES".  Accomplishments! :)
So until next time...

Have a blessed day,

maggie jane

Linking up to:

10 comments:

  1. Hi Maggie! My daughter is Maggie too! I love how big your desk is! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you apply a layer of furniture wax before you paint the paint will sand off much easier. You can also just apply wax (from candles) to the edges and corners before you paint and it will make the distressing much less WORK. It looks GREAT though!!! And I'm with you. A great sense of accomplishment when you do it yourself and get exactly what you want!!!! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh WOW, you are a busy bee or should I say carpenter. Thanks for sharing at the newbie party. Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was hard work! I bet you're desk happy now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the baskets you incorporated.

    Here from the Newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks fabulous!! Thanks to Rachael from VanHook and Co, that is an awesome idea!! Really Maggie you and and Uncle Paul did a great job!! Its so nice to have a handy hubby!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that came out great! I sanded and repainted a dresser once-it's a whole heck of a lot of work ;) I'm very jealous of all the great work space you now have with that huge desktop. .

    ReplyDelete
  8. That came out really great. Thanks for linking it up to our Wicked awesome wed link party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much better than paying a ton for an office desk:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a really awesome desk! it looks a lot better now.
    thanks for sharing at Catch as Catch Can
    gail

    ReplyDelete